A.K.A another zucchini recipe, and I’m not even mad! Hopefully you aren’t tired of zucchini just yet because this recipe is very exciting to me! I’ve never made my own sushi before so this was a new and AWESOME experience for me.
Since going vegan, I’ve craved sushi. I’ve tried a few veggie rolls here and there, but my locally available vegan sushi leaves MUCH to be desired.
So I decided to make my own! This roll is a heavy adaptation of one of my favorite pre-vegan rolls, the shaggy dog. I needed the roll to have a bit of a crunch, a bit of sweetness, and a bit of spice just like the shaggy dog.
For the crunch I added Crispy Zucchini and Panko Breadcrumbs, for the sweetness I added a bit of mango, and for the spiciness I paired these rolls with a 2-ingredient spicy vegan mayo!
And my friends, it turned out really well. Like super duper well.
I think my craving was more than satisfied. Vegan sushi rocks, my friends.
For this recipe I bought a sushi mat set and some reusable chopsticks. (Psst… If you are interested in some other things you can buy to replace single-use items, check out this post. Let’s save the planet!)
I don’t know about you, but I’m really diggin’ the aesthetic of this sushi and I want to make more ASAP.
You know what, I think I need to make a quick run to the grocery store. Homemade vegan sushi here I come (again)!
If you try out this sushi, let me know how it turns out for you by leaving me a comment or tagging me @sippingonsoy with #sippingonsoy on Twitter or Instagram so I can see your awesome sushi rolling skills!
To stay up to date with the latest happenings in the Sipping on Soy Community, make sure you subscribe to the blog and follow me on social media for updates (links in sidebar)!
Until next time.
*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something through an affiliate link, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. This allows me to keep making great content, so thank you for your support!
- ¾ cup uncooked sushi rice
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium zucchini
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½-3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs + extra for topping
- ½ of a mango, sliced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 nori sheets
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- Optional: Sesame seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease or line a baking sheet with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan prepare sushi rice according to package instructions.
- While the rice cooks, cut zucchini into matchsticks. Not too big, or it won't stay in the roll.
- Combine non-dairy milk, flour, soy sauce, and cayenne in a medium sized bowl. Put breadcrumbs in a separate bowl.
- Coat zucchini in batter and then coat in breadcrumbs. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until zucchini is crispy and golden brown.
- When the rice is done cooking, stir in rice vinegar, sugar, and salt and allow to cool for about 10 minutes or so. Should be around room temperature, but a bit warmer is okay.
- Cut slices of mango and avocado.
- Place nori sheet on sushi mat. When rice is cool, spread a thin layer of rice on two thirds of the nori sheet (see picture above--I wet the device I use to spread the rice and my hands a bit to prevent sticking). Fill with some avocado, mango, and zucchini. I like to press the avocado down into the rice because I find it stays better that way. Don't over fill the roll, or it will not stay together well.
- Roll up the filled nori sheet and use a bit of water on bottom portion of the nori sheet to help the roll stick together.
- Slice the roll into about 7 or 8 pieces. Top with additional Panko breadcrumbs and/or sesame seeds for an added bit of crunch!
- Mix vegan mayo and sriracha in a small bowl for serving with the sushi or you could just use soy sauce. Or both. Either way it's yummy!
Love this recipe, but don’t have time to make it now? Pin it for later by hovering over any image and clicking save!