Okay. OKAY. I know this is only my fifth recipe on the blog and the third to contain chocolate chips. I get it. Really, I do! But I’m obsessed with chocolate, what can I say.
Plus, this recipe has marshmallows, so it’s completely different.
Besides, I actually wanted to post a recipe for One-Pot Jamaican Quinoa, but that recipe still needs some tweaking before it’s blog ready, so it is definitely coming. Just… not yet.
Instead you get these ooey, gooey delicious sandwiches.
I’d say that’s not a bad replacement. I wish I could virtually share one with you. They are super yummy, and soo cute. Even if you don’t really like marshmallows, the cookies alone are worth it.
I won’t lie and say these marshmallow sandwiches are healthy, BUT they definitely could be worse. These are whole-grain AND oil-free, so as far as treats go, this is a pretty good one to indulge in!
I’m really excited to share this recipe with you guys because I finally got these cookies to have crispy edges. I’ve yet to find an oil-free cookie with crispy edges, so I added a bit of cornstarch to see if it would help, and it did! The crispness of the cookie adds a really nice texture to complement the soft, pillowy texture of the marshmallow filling.
Don’t take my word for it though. Try them out yourself so you can taste what I’m talking about. And don’t forget to thank me later. (:
If you make these, tag me on Instagram or Twitter @sippingonsoy and use the hashtag #sippingonsoy on Instagram so I can see the results! I’d love to see what you guys come up with!
Don’t forget to follow me on your favorite social platform (or all of them) for updates, all links are in the side bar. Enjoy!
- ¾ cup organic brown sugar
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1¼ cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup dairy-free, fair trade chocolate chips (I used PASCHA Organic Dark Chocolate Chips)
- 16 Jumbo Vegan Marshmallows (I used Dandies)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
- In the same bowl, add flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make sure you add flour first. Stir until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Use a medium cookie scoop (1½ tablespoons) to place cookie dough on lined baking sheet. If you don't have a cookie scoop, you can use a heaping tablespoon. Place cookies about two inches apart as these cookies will spread quite a bit.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Let cool 2 minutes and either enjoy as is or flip them over to use for sandwiches.
- Microwave two jumbo marshmallows (approximately 10 regular marshmallows) for about 20 seconds. Make sure you use a bowl that is considerably bigger than the marshmallows as they will expand when heated.
- Remove from microwave and stir the marshmallows which should now be more like a fluff. You need to work quickly as the fluff is super sticky and will harden up fast!
- Spoon the marshmallow mixture onto the bottom of one cookie. Top with another cookie and press down to form a sandwich
- Repeat steps 1-3 for remaining sandwiches. Pro tip: When I have friends over and I make these, I let everyone do their own marshmallow filling! It takes like thirty seconds and ensures that the filling will still be warm and gooey when they eat it. You can do it ahead of time, but the marshmallow filling will harden a little bit, and that's more work for you. Just saying.
Want to pin this for later? Hover of this image to pin: