Chocolate chip muffins.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip muffins.
Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip muffins.
You really can have it all.
I absolutely LOVE muffins, and I have a ton of muffin recipes coming to the blog that I’m really excited to share with you guys. I just thought I’d start with a healthy twist on a classic combo first.
Why do I love muffins so much, you ask? They are SO easy to make, easy to customize, highly portable, freeze really well, and I can perfectly fit three into one compartment of my monbento bento box. Which means I will definitely eat three of these muffins for breakfast with a glass of almond milk and not feel a bit guilty.
Not only are these muffins vegan, but they are also whole-grain, oil-free, low in sugar AND crazy delicious. I can’t believe they turned out as well as the did, but LOOK AT THEM. Are you telling me you don’t want that chocolatey goodness in your mouth RIGHT NOW??
If you are, you have much more will power than I do.
If not, you’re in luck because these deliciously fluffy muffins can be yours in only 30 minutes! Mhmm, I can smell them already.
Like this recipe? Share it! Want to save it for later? Pin it! Want another delicious chocolate recipe? Check out my Vegan Chocolate Chip Lime Bread for another amazing treat!
And if you do make these muffins, snap some photos and tag me on Twitter or Instagram @sippingonsoy and add #sippingonsoy so I can see your recreations!
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (can sub mashed banana, but banana flavor will be evident)
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp (6 tbsp) coconut sugar
- ¼ cup peanut butter (I used a natural, no salt added variety)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup dairy-free chocolate chips + extra for decoration (I now recommend PASCHA Organic Baking Chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line a standard cupcake pan with liners or lightly grease.
- Combine non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar in a liquid measuring cup or a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce, coconut sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients (except chocolate chips).
- Add non-dairy milk mixture to the wet ingredients and stir.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together until batter is just combined (careful not to over mix!)
- Fold in ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups with about a ¼ cup of batter. Top with extra chocolate chips.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a knife comes out relatively clean.
- Let cool (or don't if you are like me), and enjoy! These freeze really well too, so if there are any extras just store them in a freezer safe container until ready to eat!
Want to save this for later? Pin it!