While I love my muffins for breakfast, sometimes I want something just a bit more savory to start the day, you know? Sometimes that means avocado toast, sometimes I’ll just eat some leftovers from the day before, but today that meant tofu scramble.
I’m really not a huge tofu fan, but I have to admit it is super versatile and an amazing vegan source of protein (not too mention a decent amount of plant-based iron and calcium)!
Usually, you have to press your tofu before cooking it, but in this recipe I don’t even bother. I just let the excess liquid cook off and it still comes out pretty good! That’s at least 10 minutes off the prep time.
I’ll take it.
This recipe is incredibly fresh, filling and FAST!
Most of the scramble recipes that I’ve seen are a bit too plain for me. I like a little variety. I thought… what would make this scramble a bit more fun? UM. CORN.
And it totally worked. The corn lends a slight crunch and mild sweetness to the scramble. Yum.
I bet it would also taste really good in a breakfast burrito. Hmm… that’s a good idea. I’ll test that and get back to you with a freezer-friendly breakfast burrito. I’m gonna need easy meal-prep ideas for school and hopefully they are of use to you as well.
If you try out this scramble, snap some photos and tag me on Twitter or Instagram @sippingonsoy and add #sippingonsoy so I can see how it turned out!
And for those of you who are team #sweetbreakfast don’t worry! I got you covered! More sweet breakfast ideas are coming but for now make sure you check out my Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins, Lemon Blueberry Jam Muffins, and/or Chocolate Chip Lime Bread. They are all sooo good and great for breakfast.
Don’t forget to follow me on social media to keep up to date on all my latest recipes (links in the sidebar)!
Until next time. xx
- 1 (14-oz) package Extra firm tofu
- ½ cup corn kernels (I used frozen)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (omit if sensitive to spice)
- salt and pepper to taste (I used about a ¼ teaspoon each)
- garnishes: green onion & tomato (I used half a medium tomato, chopped)
- optional serving suggestion: serve over a bed of spinach for some extra nutrition!
- Drain a package of tofu and squeeze out a bit of the excess moisture.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, crumble the block of tofu into pieces. Add garlic powder and onion powder and sauté until moisture cooks out of tofu and it become a bit browned.
- Add remaining spices, corn, and nutritional yeast. Cook for an addition 2-4 minutes or until corn is heated through. If the scramble gets a bit to dry, add a bit of water to the pan.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and top with chopped tomato and green onion.
Need a rain check? Pin it for later!