I think I go through breakfast sweet phases. I’ve been going through a muffin phase, then I went through a brief smoothie phase (green smoothie recipe anybody?), and now I’m in a pancake phase.
As some of you may know, I attend the University of Texas at Austin, but right now I am out for summer. While I like having a bit of a reprieve from the rigors of student life, when I’m in Austin I eat vegan pancakes at Kerbey Lane on a weekly basis.
I’ve been having withdrawals.
I’ve come to the conclusion that I replaced the void with muffins for a while, but after visiting Austin with my best friend last week and getting my pancake fix, I’m obsessed yet again.
And I have to tell you these pancakes are MIND-BLOWING good.
And I know pancakes.
And I wouldn’t lie to you.
Plus, they are healthier than traditional pancakes!
Most strawberry pancakes have strawberry chunks, but there is just something about warm mushy fruit in a pancake that rubs me the wrong way. BUT I like the taste imparted by fruit to pancakes. My solution? Fruit puree!
This magical flavor combo of strawberries and cream cheese works beautifully in these smooth, fluffy, oil-free pancakes. Plus it makes the uncooked batter such a pretty pink color!
You’ll love them, I promise.
If you make these, leave me a comment or tag me at @sippingonsoy on Instagram! Also, make sure you subscribe to my blog so you don’t miss another delicious recipe.
- ¾ cup strawberry puree (about 8 large strawberries)
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese (I use tofutti)
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat griddle to 375 degrees or skillet to medium-high heat.
- Blend your strawberries into a puree. Measure out ¾ cup and discard or set aside the rest.
- Back into your blender add the strawberry puree, vegan cream cheese, non-dairy milk, agave, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Blend until smooth.
- In a medium/large bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, and salt.
- To the dry ingredients fold in the wet ingredients, being careful not to overmix.
- Let batter stand for 5 minutes. Admire the pretty pink color.
- While the batter is resting, check that your griddle/skillet are hot enough. To test, splash a little water on your surface. If the water dances you griddle is hot enough. If the water puddles, the pan is too cold. If the water evaporates immediately it's too hot. You may want to make one test pancake to double check.
- If your heating surface is the right temperature, add ¼ cup or so of batter for each to the griddle/skillet. Use the back of a spoon to spread out the batter a bit into a nice circle.
- Cook for about two minutes before flipping or until bubbles have formed and burst on the top of the pancakes.
- Cook for an additional two minutes on the other side.
- Serve warm with either regular or cream cheese syrup. I also top them with extra strawberries.
- To make cream cheese syrup just whisk together vegan cream cheese and syrup until smooth.
*You could probably make this completely whole-grain, but you might need a little extra liquid in the batter.
What’s your favorite breakfast food? Leave me a comment below letting me know!
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it!
Need some more sweet breakfast inspiration? Check out my Almond Butter Cinnamon Swirl Muffins. They are too good to be missed!